Finding a top-notch general contractor in Jackson, MS or anywhere else can take a bit of work, and a healthy amount of trial and error. The right general contractor will always put quality first, and will also have experience in the area you’re looking for and prices that fit your budget. Here are a few good rules of thumb to follow when you’re looking to hire a general contractor in Jackson, MS:
- Use online reviews: Third party websites like Yelp and Angie’s List feature reviews from real customers who have nothing to gain from posting a negative or positive review. These websites are good for neutral guidance, and can flag things you should be wary of no matter which general contractor you choose to hire. These websites also have the benefit of allowing you to compare several general contractors at once from the comfort of your home.
- Trust personal referrals: Online reviews are extremely helpful for getting started or if you don’t know a lot of people in the area who have used general contractors. But for advice from people who understand what’s important to you, there’s nothing better than personal referrals. Ask around among your family, neighbors and close friends to see if there’s a general contractor that fits your needs. And if a friend does refer you, you might even get a good deal.
- Get multiple bids: It’s always good to have options, so ask for multiple bids from general contractors before choosing the one that works best for you. While this is a good way to get a sense of how much you’ll be paying, you should keep in mind that cheaper is not always better. Some contractors may have a higher bid because they plan to use better materials or work on a more efficient schedule. Ask your potential contractors how they arrived at their bid before ruling an expensive contractor out or hiring a cheap one.
- Set a budget: While you should keep an open mind when it comes to hiring a contractor based on their price, it is still important to at least set a maximum amount that you absolutely cannot exceed. Having this limit will help you rule out outrageously expensive contractors and put the middle-of-the-road prices in perspective.
- Trust your instinct: Depending on the type of project for which you need a general contractor, you’re likely to end up spending a lot of time with them. From multiple daily phone calls to last minute changes and negotiations, your general contractor is going to be a big part of your life for the duration of the project, so you’ll want to pick someone you can at least get along with. If someone makes you annoyed or uncomfortable the first time you meet them, it’s likely to only get worse over time. Trust your gut and don’t pick a suspicious general contractor, no matter how great their price may be.
If you have any questions about general contractors in Jackson, MS, or are interested in receiving a bid, please don’t hesitate to contact Kitchen Kreators Ltd.