As you consider how you want to undertake your bathroom remodeling, remember that family bathrooms offer more challenges than guest or single use ones. You need to be cognizant of both the functionality and the style of the space. Some handy tips include:
- Additional storage: When multiple family members are sharing a bathroom, the most important improvement you can make to the space is additional storage. Adding more drawers and cabinets means everyone can pack their toiletries away and reduce clutter in the room. This will pay dividends in keeping the room looking neat and allowing everyone to have their own space. Though it can be challenging to add more storage in a small space like a bathroom, consider wall-mounted storage like medicine cabinets and shelving. This keeps the floor clear and can even be done in a way that contributes to the style and look of your bathroom.
- Bold colors: With a family, you want to find a look for the bathroom that is tasteful but still functional. More people means more opportunities for spills and stains. Instead of choosing that pristine white on white look, consider bold colors for your bathroom remodeling. You can find colors that are fun and playful that reflect your family’s dynamic. Brighter colors are also forgiving of splashes and spills that are common with a big family in a little space.
- Graphic tile: Another way to disguise spills and stains is with graphic tile. This type of tile is intricate without seeming busy and it boasts the additional benefit of hiding small stains and scoffs. Because graphic tile is classic in style, you won’t need to worry about updating it as the trends evolve and you’ll be glad it keeps your bathroom looking sleek.
- Quality hardware: Don’t undervalue the importance of high quality hardware in your bathroom. More use means more wear and tear. When you choose high quality materials for your bathroom remodeling, you can rely on their longevity over the years of repeated use. Choose knobs and handles that reflect the overall look of the bathroom without distracting from any one element. Remember in a small space to choose understated but classic looks.
- Mirrors: Adding more mirrors to your bathroom is one of the easiest and most effective ways to add functionality and improve the look of a space. Mirrors open up a room and make it appear larger than it is. More mirrors are also great for a shared bathroom as more than one person can get ready without having to fight over a tiny vanity. If you really want to pursue this option, you can even turn an entire wall into a mirror, adding floor-to-ceiling reflections and higher functionality.
Bathroom remodels can require some clever, crafting thinking, but when done right, they add peace of mind to your life. To learn more about great bathroom remodeling ideas from an experienced contractor, contact Kitchen Kreators Ltd. at 601-977-9300.