The average kitchen remodel in Mississippi can take anywhere from one to two months after the preliminary design and planning phase is complete. This might seem like a long time to be without access to your kitchen, but with sound logistical planning, you and your family will likely be able to stay in your home during this time. The guide below provides you with six critical steps in the kitchen remodel process so that you have a good idea of what to expect during your project:
- Evaluation phase: To get your remodel underway, the first step is the removal of all the appliances and furnishings in your old kitchen, which typically takes a couple of days. After everything has been removed, the contracting team can go through and conduct a thorough evaluation that includes checking the structural integrity of the floor, ceiling and walls, while also making sure that the entire kitchen is level.
- Marking out locations: Since it will be much easier to install the electricity before everything is moved in, most contractors will mark off the locations for the electrical outlets and lighting fixtures next. These locations will be determined in concert with the anticipated positioning of the appliances that will need access to this electricity, and the entire process takes about a day.
- Mechanical installation: Once the mapping for the electrical connections is finished, the mechanical installations, such as the plumbing, HVAC and electricity, are completed. From there, the contractor will move on to the walls and flooring.
- Insulation and drywall: The next step will be to add insulation, and then install, finish and prime the drywall. If you are having new flooring installed, the contractor will also complete that at this time before the appliances are brought in.
- Cabinets and countertops: Because your contractor has already made sure that both the ceiling and floor in your kitchen are level, the cabinets can be correctly slotted into place at this stage. If a granite fabricator is used to complete the countertops, the granite will be laser-measured, approved and sent to be manufactured into the actual slab that will be used for your countertop. When you are working on scheduling with the contractor, keep in mind that this process typically takes about 10 days.
- Finishing stage: The plumbing fixtures and backsplash are the final installations that will be added, and painting the kitchen will be the final touch. If you are having hardwood floors installed, they will be finished at this point as well. Once the floor is completed, all of your appliances can be setup and your kitchen remodel will be just about finished. The contractor will go through and make any necessary touch-ups, and as soon as that is finished, you and your family can begin enjoying your brand-new kitchen.
Here at Kitchen Kreators Ltd., we have nearly 30 years of experience helping homeowners in the area create something truly special with our kitchen remodels in Mississippi, and we are ready to help elevate both the look and value of your kitchen. If you want to build your dream kitchen with a team of experienced, knowledgeable and award-winning contractors, make sure you give us a call right away for your consultation!