If you love your current home and you don’t have any plans to move anytime soon, it’s important to think about how you are going to age in your space. As time goes by, accessibility and safety in your home are only going to become more and more important. To help make your home better for aging in place, there are several upgrades and home additions in Jackson, MS that you should consider investing in:
- Entryway accessibility: Home entryways are incredibly important when it comes to safety and accessibility. If your entryway isn’t properly paved or has steep steps leading up to your door, your risk of falling goes up significantly. To ensure that you and your guests can continue accessing your home without major safety concerns, it’s important to design your entryway so that it is safe. Pave a path from the sidewalk or driveway to your door that’s wide enough to accommodate mobility devices. You should also install a sturdy hand rail alongside any stairs, and consider converting your steps into a ramp.
- Flush flooring transitions: Upgrading the flooring in your home can improve safety significantly. Installing flooring with flush transitions between rooms reduces the risk of tripping and falling when you pass from one room to the other. Typically, low-pile carpets are the safest flooring option for people who want to age in place.
- Ground-level bedrooms: Climbing the stairs on a daily basis can become increasingly difficult as you age. By keeping your master bedroom on the ground level of your home, you can avoid the strain of trekking up your stairs every day. Adding a first-floor master bedroom and leaving the rooms upstairs for guests can make your home a lot more convenient and safer for you as you age.
- Accessible bathrooms: Renovating your bathroom with accessible tubs and showers and hand rails can make a big difference in your comfort and safety in the long run. Curbless showers can be accessed with wheelchairs and walkers and minimize the risk of slips and falls while bathing.
- Spacious kitchens: Kitchen islands are an appealing option for lots of young home buyers, but they can become an obstacle as homeowners age. Emphasizing the use of base cabinets and drawers instead of overhead cabinetry can also improve the accessibility of your kitchen storage. Renovating your kitchen to make it more spacious and accessible is a worthwhile investment if you want to age in place in your home.
Learn more about home additions in Jackson, MS
Get started with custom upgrades and home additions in Jackson, MS by reaching out to the team at Kitchen Kreators Ltd. For decades, we have been proud to provide comprehensive kitchen and bathroom remodeling and renovation services to help our clients make their dream home a reality. No matter what your specific needs may be, our team is here to provide you with the advice and services that you’re looking for. If you want to get started with a free quote and consultation, simply give our team a call today!