There’s stainless steel in almost every part of your home. Appliances, fixtures, features and vital components throughout your property rely on the resilience of stainless steel. In recent years, many have started powder coating their homes’ stainless steel elements. However, we regularly get questions about the process. What is stainless steel powder coating in Jackson, MS? Read on to find out!
What is powder coating?
There’s a wide range of coatings people can use on any number of items. One example is paint. You can paint a chair, a house or a car. Powder coating is electrostatically applied to surfaces as a free-flowing, dry powder and then cured with heat or ultraviolet light. Unlike other coating options, powder coating delivers the highest value for the cost.
Powder coating has applications in residential, commercial and industrial settings. Unlike paint or plating, powder coating provides numerous advantages, such as being easily applied to metals, woods, plastics and glass. This versatile coating option continues to rise in popularity, though people still don’t know why they might want to powder coat stainless steel in Jackson, MS.
Applying powder coating to stainless steel surfaces
When discussing stainless steel powder coating in Jackson, MS, we like to review the application process for this coating:
- Pre-application: The surface is cleaned and a layer of phosphorus is added to increase resistance to corrosion and improve the coating’s adhesion.
- Application: Using an electrostatic spray machine, the powder coating is applied to the pre-treated surface.
- Curing: With either high temperature or UV light, the coating is cured to the surface and then solidifies.
This quick and easy process takes less time than applying other coating options, while also being more environmentally friendly.
The benefits of powder coating stainless steel
There are many reasons to invest in powder coating any stainless steel in your home, from bathroom fixtures to kitchen appliances:
- Increased corrosion resistance: Your bathroom and kitchen have high levels of humidity. This long-term exposure to moisture corrodes stainless steel. However, powder coating protects stainless steel from corrosion better than plating or polishing the metal. This minimizes the presence of rust, allowing your kitchen or bathroom to look great for years to come.
- Extremely resilient: Kitchens and bathrooms are high-traffic areas in any home. To keep up with multiple uses every day, powder coating provides the scratch resistance and peel resistance your appliances and fixtures require to remain functional. Yes, stainless steel is incredibly strong, but the added strength of powder coating protects appliances and fixtures from chemicals, solvents and other stressors.
- Aesthetically pleasing: Powder coating creates a lustrous, smooth look when applied to stainless steel surfaces. If you want to retain the stainless steel aesthetic, there are clear powder coating options. However, if you want your fixtures or appliances to match your home’s interior aesthetic, you can choose a coating with the color that’ll match perfectly.
As a premier contractor, Kitchen Kreators Ltd. can incorporate powder coating options into all of our custom kitchen and bathroom designs. We’re also available to apply powder coating to any part of your home. To learn more about why powder coating stainless steel in Jackson, MS is so beneficial, contact us now.