Chances are, if you’re planning on remodeling your kitchen, you’re doing it to give yourself a space that is both more functional and more aesthetically appealing.
However, it’s also important that you make sure you consider how kitchen renovations can improve your home’s value. In the event that you sell your home in the not-too-distant future, certain choices you make with your renovations can bolster the kind of value you can expect to get in return.
So, does a custom kitchen affect your home’s resale value in Jackson, MS? Yes! Here are a few examples of some of the changes that can put extra money in your pocket after a sale:
- Color schemes: In general, you can expect a neutral color scheme to do much more for the value of your kitchen and your home than color schemes with lots of bold choices or trendy designs. Those bolder choices can turn off potential buyers. But there are additional benefits to choosing a neutral color—it can help you to open up a space, and make it feel bigger and brighter.
- Hardwood: Hardwood floors are always attractive to buyers, and adding them into a kitchen can significantly boost the value of your home. While it can be expensive, you will get the value back, and it will provide a warm, luxurious feel in your kitchen space.
- Update appliances: You’re probably unlikely to keep the same appliances after you’ve updated your kitchen, but if you’re even considering it, don’t. Outdated appliances are less energy efficient, meaning they’ll cost you more to operate, they are more difficult to find replacement parts for and they’re less attractive to buyers. You’ll do more for the value of your home by investing in a brand-new set of kitchen appliances.
- Islands: Kitchen islands are a huge perk for would-be buyers. Make sure the island matches the rest of your kitchen, including cabinets and countertops. This adds more functional space for cooking, preparation and storage. Positioning the island correctly also gives you a much better flow to your kitchen, and makes for a great hangout spot for people who are gathered in the room while you work.
- Storage: Maximizing your storage space gives you more options for storing your goods and appliances, and also increases the value of your space. Too many homes deal with a lack of storage in general, but especially in the kitchen. You can create storage in places that might seem unconventional, including adding shelves under cabinets, fitting in extra, custom-sized cabinets and updating pantries with better organization.
- Backsplash: A backsplash behind your sink, over your counters and under your upper cabinets can really provide a more luxurious feel to the space. Even a simple white subway tile adds a very magazine-like feel of luxury and style.
- Open floor plan: Open floor plans are all the rage right now, because they allow people working in the kitchen to still be able to be a part of conversations that are happening in the living areas. Plus, they make your entire home feel much larger.
Interested in learning more about kitchens and home resale values in Jackson, MS? Contact Kitchen Kreators Ltd. to speak with our remodeling contractors today.