You’ve probably heard that an outdated bathroom can make or break a home sale—but does a remodeled bathroom actually increase your home value in Jackson, MS? The answer is yes, but it depends on which kind of upgrades you choose. If you make smart choices, you could get up to 50 percent back on your investment. On the other hand, if you sink your money into marble tubs and gold-plated toilets, your bathroom renovation will lose money.
Here’s how to get the best return from your bathroom renovation:
- Opt for mid-range renovations: Bathroom remodels can be as low as several thousand dollars and as high as hundreds of thousands, depending on what you’re going for. When you’re considering the type of remodel you want, compare it to the cost of your house—there’s no way a $50,000 bathroom remodel is going to add $50,000 (or even half of that) to your $250,000 home. Do your research and set a mid-range budget, depending on which specific renovations you’d like to perform.
- Prioritize function and modern fixtures: One of the biggest benefits of a bathroom remodel in Jackson, MS is that it adds value by making your home more pleasant to spend time in, so look at the bathroom with a critical eye. Anything that’s old and worn out (vanity, flooring, tub and more) should be replaced. A fresh coat of paint or new tiling can make a world of visual difference, and modern fixtures will make it look appealing to your buyers.
- Choose reasonable materials: You don’t need hand-crafted Italian tile from a tiny village, especially if you’re going to sell your home soon. On the other hand, you don’t want to go for the cheapest materials you can find, either. Look for items that have good reviews but won’t break the bank.
- Consider including the top-grossing renovations: There are certain bathroom renovations and upgrades that offer more ROI than others. For example, yanking out your old tub and installing a walk-in shower can help, and separate soaking tubs are popular, too. Upgrading your flooring can enhance the overall appearance of your space, and installing a new, modern vanity with a fresh countertop and sink will go a long way. Again, consider your budget before deciding whether to refresh or replace each component.
- DIY the design: If possible, create your own bathroom design rather than hiring a design professional. This will save you additional money, and will allow you to fully customize the space to your needs. Look through design websites for ideas, focus on modern neutrals and focus on upgrading what you have rather than ripping everything out and rebuilding.
- Work with a reputable contractor: Finally, working with a great contractor will ensure you have beautiful, quality results that will last for decades. Be sure to research contractors and get multiple bids before settling on one.
If you’re ready to remodel your bathroom and increase your home value in Jackson, MS, Kitchen Kreators Ltd. can help. We have over 30 years of experience transforming homes. Call us today to get started.