Starting your bathroom remodel is an exciting event—but it’s important that you do the steps in the right order, even if you’re not handling the actual remodel yourself. The first steps in a bathroom remodel will set the tone for the rest of the project, and with plenty of preparation and a little luck, will ensure that your bathroom remodel turns out as stunning and functional as you had imagined.
Here’s an overview of what to do first when you’re starting your bathroom remodeling project. Read on, then call the team at Kitchen Kreators Ltd. to get started. Some of these tasks will be handled by or in conjunction with your general contractor, so don’t feel like you have to (or should) do it all on your own:
- Set your budget: The most important thing you need to do is set your budget. There’s no sense in getting your heart set on certain features and fixtures that are way out of your budget (that $50,000 natural quartz bathtub may need to wait).
- Decide what you want: After you set your budget, you can start deciding what you want. Consider design, function and the specific features you’d like your bathroom to include.
- Call general contractors for quotes: Next, start calling general contractors for remodeling quotes. Interview several and determine which ones offer the best value for the money.
- Figure out timing: Once you’ve narrowed down your general contractor choices, you’ll have a better idea of how long the remodel will take to complete, and when your contractor can start. This will help you prepare for the process.
- Design your bathroom: When you work with a general contractor, they’ll help you design your remodel to your specifications and budget. They’ll also measure your bathroom (and other areas, if you plan to enlarge the room) for accuracy.
- Look for structural and other defects: Next, they’ll inspect your bathroom for structural and other types of defects, like mold, faulty wiring and problematic plumbing.
- Plumbing: If the plumbing needs to be adjusted, that will happen first—plus adding any plumbing fixtures, like new sinks, tubs and toilets.
- Ventilation: If your ventilation needs to be updated or upgraded, that will happen at this stage.
- Cabinets and shelving: Next, your cabinets and shelving will go in.
- Walls and flooring: After your cabinets and shelving are installed, they’ll tackle the walls and flooring. Make sure to pick moisture- and water-resistant options for best results.
- Lighting: Lighting isn’t just practical—it also adds flair to the room. Your new lighting and fixtures can be installed at this point.
- Final cleaning stage: Finally, your bathroom will be cleaned—and then you can add the accessories and special touches that make your bathroom feel all your own.
Once your bathroom is finished, you’ll wonder why you didn’t do this sooner. For help starting your bathroom remodel, including budgeting, designing and handling the remodeling process itself, contact the team at Kitchen Kreators, Ltd. today. We’ll help you realize the bathroom of your dreams.